Too much to do but not sure where to start? You thought you had a plan of action, but it seems like you still aren’t getting anything done?
These are some of the feelings that have plagued me on and off during the School Year Challenge.
This personal nine-month challenge began in September and has resulted in a roller coaster of learning with highs and lows.
However, two things have remained constant every month:
- I must pick the project(s) to do.
- I have to start the project(s).
There were three possible projects for March. I just had to pick one:
- Grandpa’s table
- the white table
- a washtub
A mini-mental melt down mid-month resulted in an eye-opening self discovery: DIY projects that seemed easy for other people on YouTube and TV were not always easy for me. That bothered me.
I couldn’t just get started. It was hard for me to jump into a project and figure things out as I went.
There were things I needed to learn, questions that needed answers, before I could begin.
As a result, I procrastinated without realizing why and caused myself stress halfway through the month.
With 15 days left in March, I knew I needed to select one project. So I began to search for answers to my questions on paint removal.
At the same time, my brain was thinking, “Would one of the tables or the washtub be the easiest to renew?”
The answer became obvious… it was Grandpa’s table! I had the skill set and knowledge, without any additional learning, to transform his table. Paint removal wasn’t necessary. A quick sanding would prepare the surface for a new coat of paint.
Excitement started flowing through my body! Sure, I would need to learn some things in order to renew the white table and wash tub but I had one project I could get started on right away!
My goal for March was only to renew one of the three objects. Grandpa’s table was going to be easier than the other two…the path of least resistance!
Details on March’s Project – Grandpa’s Table
Grandpa’s table has been on our front porch for about 10 years. It is near the front door and is a dumping ground for items we use to take care of potted plants and plants in the yard.
Once I made the decision to renew Grandpa’s table, it only took 3 days to complete the project.
Sanding a few rough spots and edges was the first thing I did.
After that I washed off the table and let it dry.
Then I used some primer that was left over from another project to cover the few areas of exposed wood.
My original idea was to paint the table with the same outdoor paint used on the Adirondack furniture in January.
We love how clean and bright this renewed furniture looks, but I started thinking, “What else could I do to add a design element to the table?”
My solution was to paint both shelves a darker gray and add a border around each shelf with a lighter gray.
There was a can of spray paint left over from the metal table/chairs project in October and provided the color combination I wanted.
I set up my spray painting station in the garage and quickly applied dark gray on both shelves.
Humidity had been high and I wanted to have a little more control over the drying time. So, while the table was drying, I set up another painting station in the living room.
I brought the table inside and balanced it on Painters’ Tripods (notice the orange ‘feet’ under the table legs).
The next day I taped a border around both shelves.
Then I painted the legs and shelf border. The Painters’ Tripods made it easy to paint the bottom of each leg.
I removed the tape and was dismayed to see several flakes of dark gray spray paint peel up with it.
After brainstorming with my husband on how to repaint the exposed areas, I decided to spray enough paint in a disposable cup so it puddled in the bottom. Using a foam brush, I dabbed paint on the flaked off areas. The solution worked great!
The last thing to do was add furniture glides to elevate the table slightly. Drilling pilot holes and hammering each glide took only a few minutes.
The new table looks fantastic!
Glidden Interior/Exterior Gripper White Primer and Sealer
Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Paint and Primer (color Dark Gray)
HDX Painters’ Tripods
Behr Premium Plus Paint and Primer in One (color Pencil Sketch)
foam brush and disposable cup
Everbilt Furniture Glides
The budget for this project was $30. I had almost all the supplies at home and only spent $9.66 on the Painters’ Tripods and furniture glides.
Every time I’m on the porch and see Grandpa’s table, a flash of a memory passes through my mind. The memory varies but it is always a happy one.
Up until now, there had always been a fleeting thought of repainting the table overshadowing the memory of Grandpa.
Now when I see the table, a feeling of iccomplishment* accompanies the warm thoughts I have of my Grandpa and makes the memory flash so much more enjoyable!
Often times, when faced with an overwhelming number of projects to do, picking one and getting started, can be the hardest part.
As you look around your home and see all the projects that need to be done, I encourage you to pick one and just get started.
Getting past these two hurdles sets you on a course for success and your own iccomplishment*!
Hello, I'm Nicki!
I'm a fabric lover who believes in the necessity of having a creative outlet. My goal is to educate and inspire others in sewing-related projects that are fun, functional, or both. Sign up to receive notice when new posts have been published.